British Military & Criminal History:

1900 to 1999.



Home - Criminal Cases - The 1940s - Alec de Antiquis


Alec de Antiquis was a man of 31 years old, the Father of 6 children, the owner of a prosperous little motorcycle repair shop in South London, and a one-time Corporal Instructor in the Home Guard. He was shot dead in London attempting to stop the escape of some robbers from a jewellery shop in London.

The case is often used by the pro-capital punishment lobby to show that the permanent removal of the gang's leaders is a justification for execution. The anti-capital punishment lobby counter this by saying the gang's leaders could have been removed to prison and the gang dissolved through their leaders' absence in prison.

At the time the newspapers seemed more concerned with the execution of the gang leaders, aged 23 and 21, instead of the Father of six who died attempting to prevent their escape.

The Case Details

Alec de Antiquis was shot dead in Charlotte Street, located in London's West End, on 29 April 1947. He was attempting to prevent the escape of three robbers from a jewellery shop.

Three masked men had earlier raided the shop, the shop's manager was beaten about his head with a revolver, and the three robbers ran into the street after firing a shot. Alec de Antiquis, riding on his motorcycle, drive into the path of the raiders. One of them shot him through the head, leaving him dying on the pavement. They escaped into the busy traffic.

Superintendent Robert Fabian (nicknamed "Fabian of the Yard") arrived on the scene. There were several inconsistent witness statements, but a taxi-driver reported that he had seen two masked men disappear into Brook House, Tottenham Court Road, just after the time the murder was committed. When the police searched the premises, they found a discarded raincoat and a scarf that had been folded to form a face mask. The raincoat was eventually traced to Charles Henry Jenkins, aged 23 years old, who already had a criminal record.

The gun was eventually found by a schoolboy on the muddy banks of the River Thames. Ballistic tests proved that the gun had fired the bullet that killed Alec de Antiquis.

The various witnesses to the shooting failed to pick Jenkins out from an Identity Parade held by the police. However, the police had arrested two of Jenkins' associates: Christopher James Geraghty (aged 21) and Terence Peter Rolt (aged 17). Geraghty and Rolt blamed Jenkins for the murder.

All three were charged with the murder of Alec de Antiquis at their Old Bailey trial, which began on 21 July 1947. The trial judge was Mr Justice Hallett, the Prosecution case was led by Mr A. Hawke with Jenkins, Rolt and Geraghty defended by Mr Vick, Mr O'Sullivan and Mr Wrightson respectively.

After a week-long trial, all three were found guilty. Rolt, being aged under 18 at the time of the crime, was sentenced to detained during His Majesty's Pleasure. Jenkins and Geraghty were both sentenced to death by hanging.

Christoper James Geraghty and Charles Henry Jenkins were hanged in a double execution at London's Pentonville Prison on 19 September 1947.

Terence Holt was released from prison on licence in June 1956.

After their execution it was reported that the gang of which they were members broke up, and a number of guns were abandoned.

In his autobiography, Albert Pierrepoint recalls that he walked near to the scene of the crime, while he was on business in London. He was the chief executioner at Jenkins and Geraghty's execution.

Blog | UK Medals | Remembrance | War Crimes | Spying | Courts Martial | Criminal Cases | Index | Contact